Lucenni and Nejemese character creation is banned, except for character requests. We are offering numerous incentives such as money, magic, and mythical pets to anyone who creates a priority want ad or characters from an empty or near-empty house. read more

Add Reply
New Poll

Canon FAQ
Authored by The Staff (they/them, timeless)
Trophy Case
the gods play dice
43 Posts ✥ 15 Crowns
Hails from Zhaoshang
Ageless years old
Address As
Rep: 0 pts Honour Points
Jan 29 2015, 12:51 PM ✥ Permalink
Canon FAQ
Index & Reserves ✥ Canon FAQ Major HousesMinor & Foreign Houses
Can I change a character's face suggestion? / How lenient are faces? You can change faces, but we ask that they look reasonably like other members of the family, and we do not allow whitewashing. For example, if a character's suggested faces are black, you may not create a white character in that family, unless they have married in. There may be characters of multiple races in families if different generations have a parent of different racial makeup. Please ask before changing royal canon faces. Can I use a face that is suggested for a royal character? No; royal faces are considered reserved. They may open if the player decides to use someone else. Faces suggested for ducal characters are NOT considered reserved and may be used elsewhere. What does "nonbinary" mean? Nonbinary means that a character does not identify with the standard gender binary. This is an umbrella term for numerous gender identities, and you can read more about it here. If you see it on the canon list, it DOES NOT mean that you can make your character a cisgendered male or female.

Ilium and the Faith have a strict gender binary and gender roles of male vs. female, even though they are legally equal. This means that characters who identify with something other than the gender assigned to them at birth may have difficulties related to identity and societal acceptance. Can I change my character's gender? You may not switch a character from cisgender male to cisgender female or vice versa, but you may change any male or female gender marker to nonbinary. A few nonbinary canons are already marked on the canon list; they may be viewed as either male or female by Ilian society, but will themselves feel differently. Why are there suggested faces of multiple races in each region, despite cultural differences? The empire is almost five hundred years old, so intermarrying between houses has created a different racial makeup than one might expect. Although realistically most characters would be mixed race, unfortunately, it’s difficult to find large numbers of mixed race celebrities who can be sorted into families. Dividing the regions by race would be unrealistic given the intermarrying of houses. Does my character's name have to match the regional languages? Yes. This is actually a law in Ilium; breaking it would mean parental fines and a name change at an early age. There are multiple languages and cultural inspirations for each region, so there are a wide number of options. If a character isn't married on the list, can I make them married? Yes. Are same-sex marriages allowed? Yes, and they are not unusual, though house heads and heirs feel pressured to marry with reproductive ability in mind to ensure the security of their house's future. Do I have freedom with interpreting my canon? Yes! However, please be sure to talk to other players in the house, and adhere to any existing want ads or canon details. I have a white character in Zhaoshang / Persad / Nejem, how do I handle that? We want to remain sensitive to connotations of cultural appropriation, so while white characters exist as far and wide as characters of color, we have considered real-world implications. Zhaoshang, for example, has Italian/Latin influence, and Persad and Nejem has Greek influence. We would ask you to take this into consideration and to not exotify or stereotype cultures. There are many names in other languages that may be more comfortable to use; for example, Zuan Song is not Chinese — Zuan is a medieval Italian form of John, but it blends in with Zhaoshangese culture. What are the "tiers?" Think of each family tree as a layer cake. Parents and their children are considered one layer, and the next one starts with the next layer of parents, etc. It's not the best system, but it's the easiest way to show that faces in each family may not be exactly the same due to differing parents. Can my character have a power that is not listed for the house? This much be purchased from the shop, and will mean that your character is a bastard, not a true part of the bloodline. What if all the magic slots are used? If this is the case, you cannot make a character with magic within that house, unless you purchase the ability to do so from the shop.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules